Thursday, August 8, 2013

Hacking

So there I was in post birthday glow, planning a shopping and spa day thanks to my wonderful generous family and friends, when I was rudely interrupted by my phone ringing. I was suspicious as it was showing not 1 but 2 numbers on the screen so I ignored it, this happened a few times throughout the day when I gave in and answered, it was Barclays Fraud Squad,it appears I have been a victim of hacking, as another human without any conscious has had a spending spree on my behalf.
I do not use my credit card lightly, it's soul purpose is to buy me a flight to my son who lives in a distant land, So I use it minimally; back in my day you used cold hard cash for your purchases and it was your own not stolen from someone else. Cheques were considered modern, for a while this was the way to buy things. Online shopping was frowned upon when it first became prevalent, you were setting yourself up for a fall if you shopped this way.

 I have a sensible head on my shoulders I check my bank statements, I don't spend without knowing what I have, unfortunately I have been in poor financial health  for a while, which makes this situation all the more serious.  The fraud squad tell me they are investigating, but it's not that simple, when were my details compromised, did I make a foolish purchase, and what if the bank says I need to pay.

What sort of a person sits at a computer and decides to steal from someone else? Hacking is met with a certain amount of admiration as they have broke the system, movies portray hacking as clever, look at War Games, a young man hacks the school system to improve his grades and nearly starts world war 3. I know someone who did this in a prestige school, they didn't start world war 3 but it was a scandal in the local community for a while.

 Mission Impossible, Golden Eye, the Matrix (never got that movie) and Die Hard 4.0 to name just a few, the plots and the art of hacking is always seen as good regardless of the ethical or moral value,I just wish Bruce Willis could help me with my predicament. 

2 comments:

  1. HOW RUDE!! Hope you get it sorted out pronto. Now you definitely need that shopping day and spa visit!

    ReplyDelete