Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Shopping It's suppose to be a JOY!!!

I went on a shopping expedition the other day, not any old trip It was suppose to be a fun trip as I had money to spend on clothes for myself. I realise this is probably a weekly occurrence for most women, but as I am unemployed and do not get any government financial assistance, I do not have money that is mine so clothes shopping for me is when necessary, and I mean when I have holes in my clothes or they are just so worn they are not even fit for doing housework in!
 So with my recent 50th birthday and the huge generosity of my lovely friends, I actually had money and vouchers that I could spend on myself guilt free as they gave me vouchers from various major stores and also cash.
My birthday was at the end of July, but I didn't want to rush to spend my gifts, I relished having the money and vouchers in my money box!
So a couple weeks ago after looking around the local centre which is quite large and has a variety of shops I was somewhat disappointed that I came home with nothing. I could not decided what to buy as shocked at how expensive everything is, I am so unaware of clothing prices, and as I need new Everything what do I get that would buy me the most for my money and the most practical wear from as it will be a very long time before I am clothes shopping again and there is the issue of Me... I am either too short (5ft+1/4 inch) too fat too small in the wrong places.. not exactly catwalk height, my vital stats are not perfect either I am a size 8/10. I start small then go medium, I am a Pear shape but they do not make clothes Pear shaped!!! I didn't even bother with footwear as I wear size 2 shoes... that's another story all on its own.
So I enlisted the help of a friend who is always stylish and who is also taller and svelte like, it's so not fair but she is rather lovely. So she took me to another shopping centre which she knew of and was happy to give me her expert advice,it did turn out be a bit of a mission of note as opposed to a journey of joy; but after trying on a Zillion items (that's what it felt like) eventually I managed to come away with a couple of good outfits, I found short leg jeans in Marks & Spencer which is just fabulous as no sewing of hems, I struggled with some tops as even the size 8's were huge and there were no 6's and yet in another shop I had to buy a size 12 skirt because of the cut. Yet I know I am not a size 12.
My other issue is colours, the UK is rapidly going in to winter so all the Fashion Houses have released their winter seasons, and they are mostly black or grey or dull maroon, there were splashes of red and army green  but not much else, I have never understood who decides that in Winter when it is cold and dark and miserable why we must dress the same. I never wear black and refuse to buy black clothes, as it does nothing for me anyway, but who decides this what so called experts think this is what Everyone wants, I love bright vibrant colours and want to wear them all year round not when some so called expert tells me I can. 
 I got home and very pleased with my purchases and more so as they were all gifts, but it was rather exhausting.


3 comments:

  1. Shopping for clothes - not my favourite thing!! But its really nice when you find a really cool item! And sooooo divine if its birthday money!! Hope to see some pics in the new clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right about not listening to experts who say "you can't wear this" or "you should wear that". I was once told that I should never wear bright colours and tans, olives and browns are best for my skin tone. HELLO?! That was the silliest advice ever and I am glad I never took heed.

    Anyway, glad you got some nice clothes! Now you'll need to blog some pictures of you wearing them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well anyone that has watched a bollywood movie MUST know that bright colours and Indian skin are a perfect match!!! And you always look Fabulous in Red x

      Delete