Friday, December 6, 2013

Nelson Mandela

I don't remember learning or hearing much about South Africa whilst I was growing up, I didn't know who Nelson Mandela was. I first heard about his plight when I went to live in South Africa, and for the most part as it was the early 80's it was in a negative manner I had never heard of apartheid until I was in South Africa. But being part of the transition of South Africa and understanding the struggle that Nelson Mandela endured was and is truly inspiring. As time went on I learnt and understood the serious imbalances of South Africa, the huge injustices done to fellow humans because of the colour of their skin. I had never understood the hatred a black skin  invoked in some white people, and the longer I lived in South Africa the more I learnt and understood why Nelson Mandela chose the path that he did. 
When Nelson Mandela was released  their was a lot nervous people but also a lot of excited people, I remember going to the polls to vote, the mood was upbeat and positive. It wasn't that much of a surprise to find that he became president of the country, and he truly inspired everyone, those that were not inspired they left South Africa, but they needed to if they didn't believe in  the same hope that Madiba had for his country. I may not be a natural born South African but it is my heart home the place I love the most I am proud to say I am South African
Nelson Mandela was not a young man when he came out of prison, but his age was not an issue, he continued to live a full life and carry on  working to achieve his beliefs. I found this aspect truly inspiring and makes me realise that no matter what your age you can continue to strive, you can continue to learn, and still have goals. 
South Africa is a truly beautiful country it is blessed with the most amazing landscapes, wildlife, natural riches, vast spaces and beauty. Nelson Mandela was aware of how beautiful his country was and wanted every single South Africa regardless of colour to enjoy its riches, have equal opportunities and be free to love who they want, again regardless of colour religion, culture or any other 'stigma' society suggests.
 I have the utmost respect for the legacy that Nelson Mandela has left behind His powerful speeches are messages every human can learn from.
 I sincerely hope that his fellow countrymen will continue to live with his message in their hearts and honour all he endured. 
Nelson Mandela was one of the worlds greatest human beings long may he be remembered. R.I.P Madiba.


No comments:

Post a Comment